Best food for pugs
This article explores pug foods. Listed here are the tips that can help you pick the best food for pugs. In addition, which dog food brands are good for adult, senior and pug puppies.
We at pug merchandise we do understand that finding the right pug food can be hectic because each pug has different needs. For example, some pugs have allergies, others have skin diseases and joint problems, especially senior adult pugs.
Before we review the top five best food for pugs, let first learn what we should look into when choosing pug dog food. and a preview the choices we got for you.
Top 5 Best pug food
What to look for in pug dog food
There are tips that can help you choose the right pug food. Keep the following in mind.
- Pick pug food that contains natural preservatives. There are vitamins that work well in preserving dog food.
- Natural flavor.
- Protein should be from animal meat like chicken, lamb, fish or beef.
- Pick gluten-free grains because they are the best.
- Do not go for foods with fillers or additives.
- For senior old pugs with joint problems, food with chondroitin and glucosamine is best because they help pugs have study and strong joints.
- Food with Omega-3 and 6 is good for the pug skin and coat.
- Food containing probiotics is good for improving the pug immune system.
- Pug food that contains antioxidants helps in preventing pug diseases.
- Dog foods made in North America i.e. USA and Canada are the best.
Best dog food for pugs detailed review
Our choices are categorized according to different pug needs and types of dog foods. No one influenced the choices we are recommending here because we did detailed research.
CANIDAE Dog Dry Food
Looking for best dry dog food for pugs, Canidae dog fry food should be your choice. Reasons why we recommend Canidae is because it’s an all stage dry food for the dog. Apart from pugs, you can feed also other dog breeds like mastiffs, French bulldogs, etc. hence giving owners with different dog breeds easy time during lunch.
If you have one breed, you will not be required to switch food depending on the dog age and size, Canidae is made for all dog life stages. It has optimum protein needed by dogs.
Why you should buy Canidae dry dog food.
- No Corn, wheat or soy included in the dog food.
- Contain probiotics, which help in digestion.
- Antioxidants, which help in protecting the dog from diseases.
- Contain Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for which help pug have a healthy coat.
- Best food for pugs with allergies
Blue Buffalo Natural Wet Dog Food
Pugs love wet dog food. Our pick for the best wet dog food for pugs is Blue Buffalo Natural wet dog food. Blue Buffalo wet food recipe is different compared with others. It is made using high-quality ingredients and contains no wheat.
Why we recommend Blue Buffalo Natural wet dog food
- Formulated for all dog stages.
- Raw meat is the number one ingredient.
- Contain Amino acids needed for every day.
- Has wholesome grains.
- Contain healthy garden vegetables and fruits.
- Dog food enhanced with minerals and vitamins, which act as preservatives.
- No wheat, No chicken, No corn or soy.
- Has no artificial flavors.
ORIJEN Dog Food
Unlike other dry dog food, Orijen food brand is the best dog food brand for pugs because it is formulated to satisfy metabolic and other dog health needs. Plants proteins and other synthetic additives are not used in making Origen dry dog food.
Origen dog food is a true definition of biologically best food because it formulated using animal ingredients. Maker’s of Orijen dog food has a wide variety of recipes that you can choose from for all dog stages.
What makes Origen best dog food brand for pugs
- Rich in meat protein.
- Made using fresh animal ingredients.
- Contain fresh vegetables and fruits delivered from Kentucky.
- Grain-free dog food.
- Made in the USA.
- Best for all dog stages i.e. adult, senior or puppy.
Merrick Small Breed food
Merrick dog food is the ultimate best puppy food for pugs because it is formulated to meet the needs of small dogs like pugs and French bulldogs. Main ingredients include real meat, fish and chicken. These foods have high protein in content.
Other ingredients included in Merrick small breed dog food are fresh fruits and vegetables e.g. peas, apples, and berries.
What else we love about Merrick Small breed food
- The main ingredient is salmon.
- Grain free.
- Ingredients contain Omega fatty acids for good skin.
- Probiotics and prebiotic fiber good for easy digestion
- Small kibbles for smaller breeds.
- Formulated in the USA.
- No artificial preservatives.
Instinct Raw Dog Food
Instinct company is based in Lincoln Nebraska. The company started making raw pet food and made it accessible to all pet owners around the USA.
The company is set to change pets lives because they believe in making raw nutrition that gives the pets ability to thrive well.
Reasons we choose Instinct Raw Dog food
- Grain-free kibbles with high protein.
- The main ingredient is cage chicken.
- Does not contain corn, wheat, soy or potatoes.
- Made in the USA.
- Balanced nutrition with 25% less fat.
- Made using real meat.
What do pugs like to eat?
Are you wondering what do pugs look like to eat? Most probably, you have many choices available but you are unable to decide on what to feed your pug.
Pug health is determined by the diet he/she takes. You do not feed pugs any food you find because they are susceptible to obesity. You need to control the amount of food they take because they will feed on the food until they finish it in their bowl.
It is important to note that dry food should have small kibbles that are formulated specifically for small breeds like pugs and French bulldogs.
In case you love to prepare pug food yourself, here are some of the ingredients that pugs will love to feed on.
Pug food should contain protein. Example of protein foods that are best for pugs is chicken meat or turkey, which should be deboned with no skin. Other ingredients include-
- Fish (e.g. white fish, salmon, herring, etc.)
Even though feeding pugs vegetables is not a necessity, corn and potatoes give the dogs carbohydrates that produce energy. Other vegetables that pugs can feed on include peas, carrots, kale, cauliflower, and broccoli.
Pugs also feed on fruits. Feeding any dog breed with fruits helps to make their immune system strong, decrease inflammation and help in digestion. Example of fruits that pugs can feed one are raspberries, banana, cantaloupe, mango, kiwi, pear, apple, etc.
Can pugs eat watermelon?
This is a common question among pug’s owners. Similar questions asked are – is watermelon good for pugs? Alternatively, is watermelon toxic to dogs? I know you are eager to know if pugs can eat watermelon; the answer is a big YES.
Pugs can eat watermelon but with some precautions. The pug or any other dog should not consume some parts of the watermelon. For example, watermelon seeds should be removed because if the dog takes them they can cause an intestine blockage. Always remember that dogs do not have complex digestive systems like human beings.
During summer, watermelon is a good summer snack, which she can take while enjoying a walk or other outdoor activities.
Health benefits of feeding your pug with watermelon are to increase water content in their body. This fruit also has vitamins, minerals, and fewer calories.
It is your responsibility to find your pug the best products. Food is very important when it comes to a dog life just like we human beings. The food we take determine our health and similar applies to pugs and other dogs breeds.
Do not forget also to read the best shampoo for pugs review.
Wondering how much food will a pug eat a day, this is the right guide for you. We have detailed what food do pugs eat and a pug feeding chart that will show you the amount of food a pug should take depending on its age. Pugs are very complicated animals. These dog breeds love...